|Grizzly Industries, Inc. - Soprano Ukulele Kit purchased from Amazon.com for $29.95. Shipping was about $10.|
|Soprano Ukulele Kit - Body|
The PrepworkThe body came already pre-assembled. There was some light sanding on the body and neck.
|It took two days to make this picture into a stencil.|
The FretboardInstead of using the pegs that came with the ukulele, I used Darice Self-Stick Gems. I applied Titebond Ultimate Wood Glue. This is serious stuff... and a bit slippery too.
|Quick drying wood glue|
|Darice self-stick gems|
|Finished fret board|
|Glued the fret board to the neck and set it to dry overnight. Very messy process.|
The Design - The Body
|.01 marking pen|
|Masking tape to hold stencil in place|
|Stencil looking pretty good.|
|Expensive Spectrum Noir markers which bled slightly|
|18K gold leafing pen. The tip is very rigid.|
|The colors didn't turn out like I had expected.|
|I tested the marker colors here.|
Combining the Neck and Body
|Using masking tape and a rubber band to hold the two pieces together.|
The Design - The Headstock
|Scrapbooking paper style|
|A flower design cut out|
|The headstock design|
|170mm from the nut to the 12th fret and 170mm from the 12th fret to the top of the bridge.|
|Google helped me with this one.|
|Gluing the bridge to the body.|
|Testing to see if I have the same amount of space on either side of the strings. Close enough.|
|Applied masking tape to the bridge and fretboard. Paper stuffed in the hole.|
|One coat of clear Polyurethane.|
|After two coats of Polyurethane|
|I really don't see much of a difference between the coats.|
I put Aquila BioNylon Soprano Ukulele strings on this ukulele.
The string color matches the ukulele.